Exploring a new way to offer transit service
Calgary Transit On Demand is a new way to provide transit service to communities that currently don’t have traditional bus service. This pilot project offers on demand, shared-ride transportation to connect people in Carrington and Livingston to the North Pointe transit hub and amenities.
How it works
- Download the free “Calgary Transit On Demand” app from your app store.
- Select your community
- Calgary Southwest
- Enter your starting point and destination. Both must be in the On Demand service area Carrington, Livingston or North Pointe (these areas are highlighted in the app).
- Select the date and time you want to ride. Trips can be planned up to five days in advance.
- Provide rider information (number of riders, adult/youth, wheelchair, etc.).
- Select your payment option: pass, ticket, My Fare, transfer, or pay in the app with a credit card.
- The app lets you know when to expect your ride and where to wait.
- If you’re going from Carrington/Livingston to North Pointe, the driver can give you a transfer so you can hop on to a Calgary Transit bus to complete your trip.
- Bringing children on board? Please review the rules for passengers under the age of 12 (scroll down to the "Children on board" section).
- Credit card – pay in the app
- Any Calgary Transit pass, ticket or transfer (including regular monthly passes, low income passes, senior yearly passes, and the UPass) – select the option in the app then show your pass/ticket to the driver.
- Sorry, no cash
Hours of service
- Monday to Friday: 5:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m.
- Saturday: 7:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.
- Sundays and holidays: 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Vehicles operate between these hours only. Rides cannot be booked that would arrive or depart outside of service hours.
Pick-up and drop-off points
In Carrington and Livingston:
- The app will give you a pick-up location. It will be at a street curb; you cannot wait inside your house.
- The maximum distance you’ll have to walk to a pick-up point is 400m.
At North Pointe there are two options for pick-up/drop-off points:
- The transit hub on Country Village Link NE (behind Landmark Cinemas Country Hills and across from Notre Dame High School).
- In front of the Good Earth Coffeehouse on the corner of Country Village Rd. and Country Village Link N.E.
Children on board
- Children under the age of 12 must be accompanied by an adult.
- In accordance with Alberta car seat guidelines, you are responsible for providing a car seat or booster seat for children under 18 kg (40 lbs.), or under 6 years of age.
Wait times and service
- This is a shared transportation service. That means there may be up to ten customers in the vehicle at one time, and rides may not be direct because the driver may pick-up/drop-off other customers on the way.
- Once a ride is requested, we aim to arrive within 15-30 minutes.
- If we’re unable to provide a ride within 60 minutes of your requested time, you’ll be notified that we can’t provide a trip at this time.
- Once you book a trip, the app will give you estimated times for pick-up and arrival at your destination. These times are estimates, and may change by up to six minutes.
- You will receive updates on arrival times in the app, and get a text message when your ride is close.
- The maximum time the vehicle will wait for you at your requested pick-up location is one minute.a
Groceries, luggage, bikes and pets
- You can bring luggage or grocery bags on board, but they cannot be placed on seats if other passengers require them. Luggage or large items must fit in the back of the van.
- You are responsible for loading/unloading your belongings.
- Pets are allowed in an enclosed carrier, which must fit in the back of the van. Service animals do not need to be in a carrier. There is no cost for pets.
- There are currently no bike racks on vehicles. If there is strong demand for bike racks, this could change in the future.
Accessible service (wheelchairs, mobility aids, etc.)
- An accessible van that accommodates a wheelchair is available. There is an option to select this service when booking a ride.
- As with regular public transit service, the driver does not assist you in entering or exiting the vehicle, or from door-to-door.
- If you require door-to-door accessible transit service, please contact Calgary Transit Access
How long will the pilot project last?
The pilot project will run until August 2021. After that it will be assessed to see if the program will continue, be replaced with traditional bus route service, be expanded to other communities, etc.
Why we’re trying on demand transit service
In new communities under development the population density is low, which means there aren’t as many transit customers as there are in established communities. This makes it expensive and inefficient to provide traditional bus service with set routes and fixed schedules. On demand, shared transportation service may provide an opportunity to introduce cost-effective and efficient transit service sooner to developing communities.
No-shows and cancellations
Please review our No-Show/Late Cancellation policy:
Accounts will be reviewed based on:
High no-show rate (failing to board your ride without prior cancellation)
- No-showing three or more times in your last 10 consecutive booked rides
High late cancellation rate (cancelling less than 60 minutes prior to boarding)
- Cancelling three or more times in your last 10 consecutive booked rides
When an account is under review we will first contact the customer to get a better understanding of the situation, provide trip planning tips as required, and issue a warning. If the issue continues, Calgary Transit may suspend the account for up to two weeks.
To improve service for everyone, we ask customers to:
- Plan your trips well and allocate adequate time in between transfers
- Book ONLY one trip and not multiple trips from point A to B
- If you can’t make a trip, make sure you cancel it versus keeping the trip and not showing up
- If you must cancel a trip, aim to cancel it at least 60 minutes prior to boarding
Credit for cancelled trips
If you are paying with a credit card in the app and cancel a ride prior to boarding, you will receive an account credit in the app, not a refund to your credit card.