About Calgary Transit
1909 - Calgary electric streetcar railway began operating in a community of 30,000 with 16 miles of track and 12 electric streetcars.
1918 - limited stop service was provided for customers in outlying communities.
1930s - during the Depression, while many North American transit services folded, Calgarians continued to be served by a thriving streetcar system.
1932 - gasoline-fuelled buses were introduced to serve areas of Calgary that did not have streetcar service.
1940s - the transit system was modernized as the streetcars were phased out, with the last regular streetcar run made in 1950. To replace streetcars, a more responsive and flexible system of motor buses and electric trolley buses was initiated. The last streetcar was restored and moved to Heritage Park where it reminds park visitors of our past.
1946 - the Calgary Municipal Railway was renamed the Calgary Transit System (CTS).
1950 - 1975 - Calgary rapidly grew to a population of almost half a million people and the bus and trolley systems were expanded to meet the demand.
During the late 1960s and early 1970s, trolley buses were phased out and replaced with diesel buses that were more flexible in their routing, and more economical.
1971 - an exact fare system was introduced to speed up boarding and reduce operating costs.
1972 - CTS joined The City of Calgary Transportation Department and was renamed Calgary Transit.
1972 - Blue Arrow (limited stop) express service was introduced to serve the downtown during rush hours.
1978 - construction of the first leg of the CTrain began.
1981 - The 10.9 km south line from Anderson Road to 7 Avenue S.W. was officially opened on May 25.
1985 - Service commenced on the northeast leg of the CTrain.
1985 - The northeast, 9.8 km line extended from the east end of 7 Avenue, across the Bow River and northeast to Whitehorn Station.
1986 - Community shuttle buses were introduced as pilot projects in Edgemont/Hawkwood, Martindale/Taradale and Shawnessy/Millrise.
1987 - The third leg of the CTrain system was completed in the northwest.
1987 - The northwest line extends from the west end of 7 Avenue, across the Bow River and north to the University of Calgary.
1990 - The northwest leg was extended to Brentwood Station, increasing the line to 6.6 km.
1991 and 1992 - the bus fleet was expanded and a new colour scheme was introduced on the buses - white with navy, magenta and turquoise stripes.
2001 - The south CTrain line was extended to Canyon Meadows (2.0 km) and to Fish Creek-Lacombe (1.4 km).
2003 - The northwest CTrain line was extended to Dalhousie (3.0 km).
2004 - The southwest CTrain line was extended to Shawnessy and Somerset-Bridlewood (3.0 km).
2007 - The northeast CTrain line was extended to McKnight-Westwinds (2.9 km).
2009 - The one billionth CTrain customer recorded in February.
2009 - The northwest CTrain line was extended to Crowfoot (2.2 km).
2012 - The northeast CTrain line was extended to Martindale and Saddletowne (2.9 km).
2012 - The West LRT line opened, between downtown and 69 Street W (8.2km).
Then and Now
Moving Calgarians Since 1909
Calgary Transit has been moving Calgarians since 1909 - that's over 100 years of service!
(Calgary's transit service was responsible for many aspects of Calgary's growth and development.)
Calgary Transit's role in the community
Calgary Transit has remained a vital part of The City of Calgary because it fulfils three key roles in the community:
Public transit provides transportation for those individuals who cannot or choose not to transport themselves.
Public transit is more economical for the individual and for The City than travel by private automobile. High quality transit service means that many people do not need to buy automobiles. With fewer vehicles, The City has to build and maintain fewer roads.
The use of public transit reduces the environmental impact of urban travel. Fewer private automobiles means cleaner air and reduced traffic noise for Calgarians.