Low Income passes are $44/month. Are you eligible for a Low Income Monthly Pass? Take a look at our requirements.
- Resident of Calgary (proof of address required, PO Boxes, rural route addresses and bank statements are not accepted as proof of residency).
- Youths aged 6 to 17 are now eligible to apply for a Low Income Monthly Transit Pass.
- Youths not living at home and attending school may bring in a letter from the principal or guidance councillor of their school. The letter must be written on the school’s letterhead and must verify the residence of the youth. Eligibility period will be for six months.
- An approval letter from the Child and Youth Support Program of Alberta Children’s Services dated within the previous 30 days. Unless there is an expiry date on the letter the eligibility period will be for six months
- Do you meet the Low Income Cut-Off? Learn more
Applying for a Low Income Monthly Pass
1. Complete an application form
2. Bring the following to the Customer Service Centre.
- completed application form
- photo ID for you and all dependants (Government issued photo ID, Student ID, Cups, Legal Guidance, Alex
- a list of all members of your household related by blood, marriage, adoption or common law and their yearly income for the previous year.
- proof of address, PO Boxes, rural route addresses and bank statements are not accepted as proof of residency.
And one of the following to verify the household income:
- Previous year’s Notice of Assessment from Canada Revenue Agency for you and all members of your household or one of the following documents to the Customer Service Centre:
- Assured Income for the Severely Handicapped (AISH) health benefits stub.
- The City of Calgary Recreation Fee Assistance Card
- Alberta Works (Income Support) - Current Alberta Health Benefit Card, a letter from Alberta Works which verifies approval of benefits and expiry date, and proof of residence. Eligibility for six months and then you must reapply.
- Alberta Works (Child health benefit and learners) – Current Alberta Works Health Benefits Card, a letter from Alberta Works that verifies approval of benefits and expiry date and proof of residence.
- A letter from a social worker registered in Alberta –the letter must state accurately the household or individual income of the applicant must be dated within previous 30 days, include the name and a Calgary address of applicant. Eligibility will be for six months and then you must reapply.
- Customers in the Resettlement Assistance Program – Provide a copy of the Resettlement Assistance Program form and provide proof of residence.
Where to buy a pass when approved?
Only approved applicants or their pre-approved designate as recorded on the application form may purchase the pass (ID required. Passes are available up to 15 days prior to the beginning of the month. Passes can be purchased from:
Conditions of Use
- The Low Income Monthly Pass is for the sole use of the registered applicants and is not transferable. It is valid on all Calgary Transit services.
- Senior Low Income Monthly Passes are not accepted when using Access Calgary.
- The pass user must be registered with Calgary Transit and the back of the pass must include the registered users name and registration number to be valid.
- The pass user must have in their possession and be prepared to present valid photo identification upon request while using Calgary Transit.
- The entire pass must be shown to the operator when boarding the bus and must remain in the possession for the user at all times while on the system.
- Misuse of the Low Income Transit Pass may result in suspension of eligibility and the user may be subject to a fine under the Transit Bylaw 4M81.
- Please note, we don’t issue replacement passes for lost or stolen passes.